Monday, August 3, 2009

Send Me A Sign

The year was 1989 and I was almost done with my 8th grade. Most of my friends I would never see again because I was going to start going to a public school. We were ready to go on a field trip to a church camp. It was going to be lots of fun I thought to myself. I was ready to check it out, I loved anything and everything that had to do with the outdoors.

We all loaded our stuff on the bus and started to drive towards the church camp. I remember arriving and thinking, this place looks like a bunch of fun. There was volleyball, hiking trails, and so much more. I knew that this weekend was going to be a blast. I just couldn't wait to get out of the bus.

A few of the teachers introduced us to the people and they seemed very cool. I found myself talking about the Lord with them and they told me so much that I had not even known about. They told me all the different kind of activites that we would be doing. We would be going on a nature hike, we would be looking at the stars at night, and so much more.

After we all got settled into the several cabins they had, we were welcomed to all come to their main cabin to have a discussion about the Lord. We all sat around as one of the guys told us some very interesting things. I learned about The Book of Job (Jobe) for the first time in my life. It was very interesting how Job's family was all destroyed.

I remember hearing that the Devil made a pact with God that if he should loose all of his family he will curse God. Job continued to be obedient to the Lord, but not for long. Job finally lost it and started to curse God. I remember reading all the different things that he asked God. What was so awesome is what God said back to Job in return.

After we had a long discussion we were to go on a walk, we didn't bring any flashlights. What was neat is that they told us our eyes would adjust to the darkness. As we walked, it was easier to see where we were going. I thought to myself that everyday we walk in darkness, if we do not have the Lord we will miss our step and fall.

I thought, we are to reach out to the Lord, ask him to be with us and protect us from all harm. He will shine his light upon us and we will see clearly through the darkness.

We had a great time and soon we were walking back to the camp. The next day we were go to on a nature hike. This time we would each go our seperate ways. We would then come back to the camp after we have spent some time alone with the Lord.

Well, knowing how much I love to hike I started to go a little further than I should. To me it all started to look the same. The trees and the pinecones laying all over the ground were everywhere. I really enjoyed seeing all the different rocks that were sticking out of the ground. Anything to do with archeology interested me.

I was having so much fun, everything that I started to see was great. It was interesting to be alone and to talk with the Lord. However, I started to realize that I was probably going to get lost. Wait, I thought. I am lost. I looked around and nothing looked familiar.

I continued to walk thinking that I would find a way back to the church camp or at least the trail that led off into the wilderness. I tried to look for any kind of structure or house that might be near, but nothing. All I could see were trees in all directions.

At this point I started to worry, I didn't want to get lost and not have a way back. I don't know the first thing about surviving out in the wild. I knew that I would not even be able to make a fire. I wasn't what you would consider a good boy scout.

So I stopped and looked up and prayed with my arms stretched out. I said, Lord will you please help me. I don't know where I am. I need you to be with me. Please Oh Lord, will you show me the way back. I don't want to ask you for a sign, but I don't know what else to do.

I need you now Lord, please help me back. I don't want to get lost, especially when the temps at night are in the 30's. So I waited and started to walk hoping that I would find my way back.

I started to see an opening and I could see for miles and miles. All I could see were trees, and more trees. I was starting to get discouraged because it all looked the same. It was starting to upset me that I had to walk off and get myself lost. Of all the people, it had to be me. So then as I continued to look I saw something I was not expecting. It did get my attention really quick.

I saw a great big white cross sticking out of the trees. Of course I thought, I remember when we drove into the camp there was a great big white cross. I didn't even consider it coincidence. I knew that this was a sign from God. I said out loud Thank You Lord, Thank You so much! I was so happy, so amazed by what the Lord had done for me. I knew that I was safe, all I had to do was walk towards the cross and I would find myself walking back to the camp.

I walked and walked and then I started to recognize areas that I had been before, it was cool. I then noticed a bridge that I walked by and shortly after I started to walk back to the camp. The cool thing is that no one at the camp knew anything about what had happened that day. It was between me and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment