Sunday, August 1, 2010

Enduring The Pain

One day after work, a young man noticed something that he was not expecting. His lymphnodes were all swollen. He was in a little bit of pain in his upper chest. He thought maybe he pulled a muscle, he knew it wasn't a heart attack. The pain radiated all the way through to his back. What he noticed next started to alarm him. He started to notice significant swelling under his arm where the lymphnodes reside.

He saw the dr, they ordered a cat scan on him to make sure that everything was ok. The ct scan revealed two large masses, one under his arm and the other under his left chest. The doctors feared the worse, they were talking Lymphoma. As weeks passed, after a minor surgery to his lymphnodes he started to heal. As one problem started to go away, another started to rise. For sometime he has been always wanting to sleep, so tired and even starting to feel weak.

He was missing a lot of work, He was in so much pain the first few weeks it was really hard to even lift his arm. His worries started to increase as he could only think about one thing, cancer. He just lost a relative because of it, she had been battling cancer for a long time. It was sad to see her go, sometimes he asked himself why does God do this to us, why does he allow us to go through these kinds of situations. Of course no one will really know, maybe it's make us stronger, maybe it's to send a message to others, we can only guess.

Months passed, still missing work because of his constant taking naps, feeling so weak. What was wrong with him he asked himself often. Just a few months ago he was doing just fine, he was working with produce and lifting crates that were 50-75 lbs and it didn't bother him a bit. It's shocking how quickly something can come on.

His trips to the doctors was almost weekly, test after test and still no answer to what was causing all his problems. He asked God to allow them to do a biopsy, it's something he's been pushing the doctors to do since day one. He has worried about the worst, having cancer or something just as bad. What was it? He couldn't figure it out.

He had more tests done, another ct scan that still showed a mass under his chest. It was his Thymus gland which he has known about since day one. It had not changed, if anything it might have grown a little bit. He could only worry about heart disease as his family has a history of it. After a stress test and an ultrasound on his heart, everything seemed to be ok with his heart. He was thankful to the Lord for him being ok. However, it turned his attention to his Thymus once again. He visited his doctor as a follow up.

Finally, the dr decided to talk to a few cancer doctors who know the most about the Thymus. He would try and get a biopsy scheduled. After a few days, he called back. The doctor called him back and informed him that the general consensus is to have it removed, that is surgery. He should be scared after hearing that, but he knows all of his pain, all of his troubles will be in the past.

He is about to go through a serious surgery, something which he has not had before. He knows that the Lord will be with him every step of the way. It might be a long recovery, but he knows that anything the Lord gets us to, he will get us through it.

This story is not fiction, it is real and it is happening to me as I speak. In a few days the general surgeon who I will speak to will most likely tell me what is to be expected and more.

I have had a rought couple of months, I had to quit my job at Wal-Mart, nearly 9 years of working there. I couldn't go back, I was not feeling that great. Finding out I had Sleep Apnea as well helped, but it was after the fact. My personal leave was not approved and I had to make a big decision that I was not proud of. It was either go back or be terminated. I chose to quit.

I have endured the pain, I have survived everyday that has led up until now. I know that the future is going to be bright. I know that whatever I have to go through will strengthen me and make me a stronger and better person. God has done so much for me, even if I have to endure so much, I know he will make all things new.

God is truly amazing and I can't say that enough. He has strengthed my faith even more. I know that I am not through the worst yet, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Something I never thought would come true. God has a plan and he will execute it with good as the final result always.

1 comment:

  1. Sir, I must commend you as you are truly exercising faith. God is totally awesome and in complete control. There is truly light at the end of the tunnel. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

    You are in my prayers.

    Brother Everett

    ReplyDelete